Is It Safe To Store Furniture In A Storage Unit?
When it comes to storing furniture, many homeowners and renters ask themselves (and others), this: Is it safe to store furniture in a storage unit? It’s a valid concern, given the value and sentimental attachment we often have to our furniture.
In this blog, we'll explore the safety of storing furniture in storage units, addressing common concerns and providing pro tips.
Risks of Storing Furniture in Storage Units
Like any storage option, storing furniture in units comes with its own set of potential risks. Being aware of these risks can help you make informed decisions about how to best protect your furniture:
Extreme temperatures and humidity can harm various materials. Key concerns include:
- Warping and Cracking: Wood furniture can warp or crack in fluctuating temperatures.
- Mildew and Mold: High humidity can cause mold and mildew growth on fabrics and upholstery.
- Metal Corrosion: Excessive moisture can lead to rust and corrosion on metal parts.
Storage units can sometimes be vulnerable to pests, which can damage your furniture. Concerns involve:
- Rodents: Mice and rats can gnaw on wood and upholstery.
- Insects: Termites, moths, and other insects can infest and damage wooden and fabric items.
Security and Theft
The safety of your belongings from theft is a major concern. Factors to consider include:
- Unit Security: Does the storage facility offer secure locks and controlled access?
- Surveillance: Are there CCTV cameras and security patrols?
Choosing the Right Storage Unit
Selecting the appropriate storage unit is crucial for the safety and preservation of your furniture. Size is something that you’d need to think about – you'll need enough space to store your items without cramming them in.
But more important is the need for Climate-Controlled Storage Units. Furniture, especially wood and upholstery, can suffer in extreme temperatures and humidity levels. Secure, well-maintained facilities also play a key role in safeguarding your items.
Best Practices for Storing Furniture Safely
Once you’ve selected the right storage facility, the next step is to store the furniture properly. Which requires careful preparation and thoughtful placement within the storage unit. Here are some best practices to follow:
- Cleaning: Dust, dirt, and stains can become ingrained over time. Clean each piece thoroughly before storage. Use appropriate cleaners for different materials – wood polish for wooden pieces, upholstery cleaner for sofas, etc.
- Disassembling Furniture: Break down larger items like bed frames and tables. This reduces the risk of damage and makes them easier to transport and store. Keep all screws and hardware in labeled bags attached to the furniture they belong to.
- Protective Covering: Use furniture covers or blankets to protect items from dust and scratches. Avoid plastic wraps for long-term storage as they can trap moisture and cause damage.
Strategic Placement in the Unit
- Allow Airflow: Place furniture in a way that allows air to circulate freely around each piece. This prevents moisture buildup and mold growth.
- Avoid Stacking: Heavy stacking can cause pressure damage. If you must stack, place heavier items at the bottom and lighter ones on top, and use padding in between.
- Elevate Off the Floor: Use pallets or shelves to keep items off the floor, protecting them from potential flooding or pests.
- Regular Checks: Visit your unit periodically to check on your items, so there's no damage or issue that needs addressing.
- Control Humidity: Use silica gel packs or a dehumidifier in your unit to maintain an optimal humidity level, especially important for wood and fabric furniture.
Reliable Storage Solutions with Master Storage 365
Storing furniture in a storage unit can be a safe and practical solution when done correctly. By understanding the risks and adhering to best practices for storage, you can protect your furniture for as long as you need.
For those seeking a reliable storage solution, Master Storage 365 offers the perfect blend of security, space, and climate control. With our large storage units and advanced climate control systems, your furniture is not just stored; it's preserved.
Choose Master Storage 365 for peace of mind and the safekeeping of your valuable furniture. Give us a call today!